Book binding is an ancient art form that has been around for thousands of years. As early as the 6th century, monks discovered how to protect their hand-transcribed manuscripts with wooden boards encrusted with metals and jewels. It wasn’t until the printing press was invented that modern-era book binding came about to focus on the design of the book covers.
Why is Book Binding important?
Today, book binding services are more important than ever before. In 2021, U.S. publishers sold over 800 million print books and with popular authors like Colleen Hoover gaining prevalence, book sales are predicted to continue to climb. Businesses can also utilize book binding services for company handbooks, new employee packets, training manuals, conferences, branded notebooks, and so much more. Even students need book binding services for their thesis or dissertation. A printed book bound together is the best way to appear polished and professional with your colleagues, peers, competitors, or anyone else.
Book binding services can vary depending on your needs and the type of book you need bound. it is important to understand what the different types of book binding are so you can select the best option.
What are the different types of Book Binding?
The four most popular book binding options are: Saddle Stitching, Spiral Bound, Wire Bound, and Perfect Bound.
- Saddle Stitching is a book binding process where the sheets of paper are printed and folded in the correct order. The paper is then placed over a “saddle” to be stitched together with staples.
- Spiral Bound is a book binding method in which the sheets of paper are printed and hole punched so a plastic wire can “spiral” through the holes to hold the book together.
- Wire Bound is a book binding process that is identical to spiral bound, but uses a sturdier wire or coil to hold the book together. Wire Book Binding is also sometimes referred to as wire-o binding or coil binding.
- Perfect Bound is a book binding method where the paper is printed and stacked together to be glued along the spine. A cover is then inserted on the spine to hold the book together and protect the pages. Perfect book binding is commonly used for fiction and nonfiction books to create paperback or hardback books.
Which book binding service should I choose?
To choose a book binding service or company, you need to consider how many pages will be bound and what the book will be used for. If you are printing more than 100 pages, the staples in Saddle Stitching will not be strong enough to hold the book together. On the other hand, if you have less than 100 pages, it may not be worth the premium costs of Perfect Binding services.
As a book binding company, Walker360 recommends following these page counts for each book binding service:
- Saddle Stitching: 8-100 pages
- Spiral Binding: 4-640 pages
- Wire Binding: 8-640 pages
- Perfect Binding: 20-720 pages
If you already know your page count (or a rough estimate), then it is time to think about what your book will be used for. Is it being passed out for a one-time conference? Or going to a book store shelf to be sold? Generally speaking, Wire Bound and Perfect Bound books tend to hold up better and last longer. That’s not to say that Saddle Stitch and Spiral Bound books will fall apart – both are still good options! But if you want your book to last longer than 1-2 years and if you have a high page count, it would be best to consider Wire Binding or Perfect Binding your book.
How long does Book Binding take?
Our state-of-the art printers and binding machines can complete hundreds of books within a day. While FedEx and UPS locations might offer book binding services, their capabilities are limited because of their machinery. UPS and FedEx specialize in shipping services and offer limited binding services compared to a professional printing company.
Need book binding services?
For large scale book binding services, choose a printing partner like Walker360 to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Our 4,000 sq print shop operates around the clock to print and bind book orders as fast as possible. We print thousands of books each year for publishers, churches, corporations, and even individuals who self-publish. Reach out to us today to get a free quote for your next book project!